Finally. It's finally here.
The 2020 elections are currently in full swing in the United States and regardless of who we're voting for, the one sentiment every community can all share just may be: FINALLY.
Election day is always an ideal time to reflect on the tenants of Democracy, the institutions of our government, and where we fit into it all. We may also wish for an extended reprieve from the political circus that has consumed the country and rightfully so. But don't go too far.
Elections are only meant to choose our representatives. Keeping actively informed of the happenings of our government is how we hold our elected representatives accountable. But can anyone really hope to stay up to date through all the rancorous turmoil that makes up the political scene?
Here are 10 Quotes on political activism to help you remain engaged to the next elections.
“I think the importance of doing activist work is precisely because it allows you to give back and to consider yourself not as a single individual who may have achieved whatever, but to be a part of an ongoing historical movement.”
- Angela Davis, political activist, philosopher, academic, and author
2. Make Your History
“One thing I believe profoundly: We make our own history. The course of history is directed by the choices we make and our choices grow out of the ideas, the beliefs, the values, the dreams of the people.”
- Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady, diplomat, activist
3. Fight Apathy
“The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.”
- Elie Wiesel, writer, professor, political activist, Nobel laureate, and Holocaust survivor
4. Don't Be Afraid to Start Small
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
- Margaret Mead, American cultural anthropologist, social activist
5. Humanity First
“I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”
- Malcolm X, human rights activist, minister
6. Strive For Real Change, Don't Settle
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
- Buckminster Fuller, architect, author, designer, inventor, futurist
7. Don't Apologize For Your Humanity
“I would much rather be the ‘obnoxious feminist girl’ than be complicit in my own dehumanization.”
- Kathleen Hanna, singer, musician, artist, feminist activist, pioneer of the feminist punk riot grrrl movement
8. Don't Underestimate Yourself
“At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.”
- Frida Kahlo, artist, political activist, feminist icon
9. Manifest Your Presence to Your Strength
“In the cause of silence, each of us draws the face of her own fear—fear of contempt, of censure, or some judgment, or recognition, of challenge, of annihilation. But most of all, I think, we fear the visibility without which we cannot truly live… and that visibility which makes us most vulnerable is that which also is the source of our greatest strength.”
- Audre Lorde, author, feminist, civil rights activist
10. Don't Be Afraid to Demand Your Worth
“It’s not about supplication, it’s about power. It’s not about asking, it’s about demanding. It’s not about convincing those who are currently in power, it’s about changing the very face of power itself.”
- Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw, lawyer, civil rights advocate, philosopher, critical race theory scholar